I love winter break! Besides spending time with the family, having more time to workout, and being able to sleep in, I try to spend time reading as many books as I can.
I am currently reading…
Exit, Pursued by a Bear is the story of Hermione Winters, the captain of the cheerleading squad. When someone slips something into her drink, rapes her and gets her pregnant, Hermione is determined to not let this control her future.
I just finished…
- This is Disciplinary Literacy – This was my professional read for winter break. I am always looking for new ideas on how support the content area teachers that I coach. T We will be using this book for one of our 2nd year teacher book clubs and there are lots of ideas that they can try from this one.
- P.S. I LIKE YOU – This was a cute story about a girl and boy who never thought they could get along until they fall in love via anonymous letter writing.
- Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person – I didn’t realize this would be more of a memoir about how Shonda Rhimes changed her life over the course of a year by saying “yes” to things that she would have normally said “no” to. It was interesting to learn about her life as a writer, but there were times, I wanted more advice and less Shonda.
My two takeaways:
1. Be present in my kid’s lives. Put my phone down and listen to what they are saying to me. Let them know that my attention is more important that anything else.
2. It is okay to be different. As she says, “Happiness comes from living as you need to, as you want to. Happiness comes from being who you actually are instead of who you think you are supposed to be.”
“Don’t apologize. Don’t explain. Don’t ever feel less than…. Be your own narrator.”
- Someday, Someday, Maybe – I am a huge Lauren Graham fan (Gilmore Girls! Parenthood!) and was shocked to hear she is also an author. This one is hit or miss on the Goodread’s reviews, but I loved it and couldn’t put it down. Such a lighthearted read about an aspiring actress trying to make it in New York City.